Quick Coalition Links:
Follow Squirrel Hill Magazine
On Twitter @SquirrelHillMag
Come and join us for the
second half of
Wednesday/December 3, 2014/6pm to 8pm
JCC's Levinson Hall B/ 5738 Forbes Avenue
Working with Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) masters of Urban Design and Real
Fourth Annual Squirrel Hill Treasure Award Dinner
Left to Right: Robert Levin, Mayor Bill Peduto, SHUC President Ray Baum
SHUC is pleased to say that the 4th Annual Treasure Awards Dinner was a huge success! Over 200 people joined us for the event, including Mayor Bill Peduto, Councilman Corey O'Connor, Representative Dan Gilman, Robert Levin of Levin Furniture, and many, many more! The 2014 Squirrel Hill Treasure Awards Dinner honored the following Treasures:
Honorable Mayor Bill Peduto
Hebrew Free Loan Association
The Homewood Cemetery
For More Photos, please visit the our Facebook Page!
GREENING THE ALCOSAN WET WEATHER PLAN
After several years of work and more than $35 million spent, ALCOSAN has released
This is set to be the largest infrastructure project ever undertaken by Allegheny
For more about the opportunities for green infrastructure, please visit Reform
The League of Women Voters Greater Pittsburgh Office, the Community Information Center (CIC), has moved to a new location:
436 Seventh Avenue Suite 350, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. Telephone 412-261-4284, Email: email@example.com
These short surveys are part of a study by the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition to better understand the stormwater implications for Squirrel Hill residents as well as business and property owners on Forbes Avenue and Murray Avenue. The information gathered from the surveys will provide a more accurate picture of the stormwater implications in our district as well as serve as a catalyst for future steps toward solutions.
For Business Owners:
For Property Owners:
Click HERE to view CMU's Institutional Masterplan.
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh:
Squirrel Hill Branch
5801 Forbes Avenue,
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
(Sept. 15, 1934 - Oct. 15, 2014)
Our good friend and former SHUC treaserer died October 15. His obituary was published today. THough his stay on our board was cut short by his illness, he was an energetic, effective and valuable board member and a wonderful person. He and Camille were the life of our first Treasure Dinners. We will miss him and our thoughts go out to his family.
OUR BLOG IS LIVE!
Visit us @
2014 Treasure Dinner Ad Book
Many thanks to all our supporters and advertisers!
Click on Ad Book Cover to open full .pdf
SHUC's board meetings occur on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 7:00 PM At the Children's Institute, 1405 Shady Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217. They are free and open to the public. Please call the office at (412) 422-7666 to verify the meeting time.
SHUC's Gateway Committee has many exciting developments to report, including the unveiling of a beautiful new clock at O'Connor's Corner (click here for pictures) and the spring planting of the Remembered Garden near the parkway entrance (pictures here).
The Pittsburgh Parking Authority is installing a new Multi-Space Pay-by-License-Plate Metering System in Squirrel Hill. Here is a brochure about the new system, along with a list of FAQs. You can watch a YouTube video about this new system at www.pittsburghparking.com. The Parking Authority expects to have all of the Squirrel Hill metering kiosks installed by July 1.
In The News:
* July, 2013:
* SHUC and the Gateway Committee
are beautifying and renovating several Squirrel Hill locations. Learn how.
* Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy and city finalize $15 million plan for new Frick Enviornmental Center in Frick Park. The previous center was lost in a 2002 fire. More information here.
* Meet Rick St. John, new Executive Director of the Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition, learn about Rick in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article link here.
* May, 2013 : Squirrel Hill's Turner Cemetery is currently being studied by archeologists from Mercyhurst University. Click here to learn more about this fascinating project and here to read a recent article about it in the Tribune-Review. www.turnercemetery.org
* January, 2013 : Please click on the link below to learn about idling awareness and how it affects Squirrel Hill residents:
* January, 2013 : Please click on the link below to watch "Squirrel Hill in a Nutshell," a half-hour program recently shown on WQED that explores what makes our neighborhood so special!
* November, 2012 : Please follow the links below to a wonderful story and editorial about SHUC recently published in the Post-Gazette, just in time to celebrate SHUC's 40th anniversary:
* June, 2011 : Pittsburgh Post Gazette - Interactive Map Shows Crime By Neighborhood
* July, 2010: Wall Street Journal: Diverse Views on Israel Emerge in Jewish Enclave
Hill Urban Coalition © 2006
Search Provided by Vivisimo - A Squirrel Hill Company